Here is a step by step description for installing apache tomcat server on your computer for running JSP, Servlet and many other web applications.
Apache Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java Servlet and Java Server Pages technologies. Different versions of Apache Tomcat are available for different versions of the Servlet and JSP specifications. The mapping between the specifications and the respective Apache Tomcat versions is:
|Servlet /JSP Specification
||Apache Tomcat version
||Actual release revision
||Minimum Java Version
First of all we need to make sure whether we have installed Java JDK/JREor not. Beacause
Apache Tomcat requires Java JDK/JRE to be installed first. In case you have not installed the JDK or JRE install it first (Download it from here
). After installing the Java JDK/JRE now its time to have the Apache Tomcat Server Software. If you have already downloaded then move to the steps for installing it. In case you don’t have the latest Apache Tomcat Web Server you can download it from the following links:
Here are some links from tomcat.apache.org for the version Apache Tomcat Version 7.0.30 Click on any of the links based upon your Computer Operating System installed. e.g. 32-bit Windows zip
) for 32 bit windows operating system.
Now after downloading the software. Follow these steps to install it successfully:
1. Double click the downloaded .exe (executable) file. Select Yes or allow to install if asks for admin privileges or any other concern.
2. Click on Next in the window appeared after double clicking the executable file. The following window will appear.
3. Click on I Agree button. You can find the below window now on the screen.
4. Select Host Manager or Examples (Though its not necessary) and click on Next.
The following window will appear asking for Port Number, User name and password.
5. Enter the port number, by default it is 8080. In case you are running some other software applications on this port number please change it to your choice. e.g. 6060 and enter the user name and password of your choice. After clicking on Next you will find the new window as:
6. If you have installed the Java JDK or JRE. It will automatically show the address of the JRE folder. Now Click on Next. The next window will ask for the directory where Apache Tomcat Will be stored(Leave it as default) and click Install.
7. After Clicking Install the installation process will start and after successful installation the final window will appear.
Click Finish!!! Thats it… Your Application has been installed.
To check : open your browser and type the following in your URL address:
http://localhost:6060/ hit enter
You will find the welcome screen of the tomcat. Now place your files in the root directory of Apache Tomcat i.e. Webapps and run it using the above mentioned URL with the folder or file name.